In this week’s episode of the Inside the Writer’s Soul podcast, we’ll be talking about another sensitive topic – feeling lonely and/or alone as an author. I’ll share three tips that help me on holidays or in tough situations, and I’ll share my own journey with loneliness.
“That’s one reason why I started this podcast, because I wanted to share stories like these. Because I don’t think I’m the only one from this background, or this culture, or from a similar or even dissimilar culture or background who might feel the same way I do. Who feel like they need to lock their emotions away, and who feel that they’re forced to pretend at happiness and can’t claim anything real.”
In this episode:
- The difference between being alone and feeling lonely
- The lonely realities of author life that fight against our desire to write alone
- Three tips that help me on holidays or in tough situations
- The story shared in this episode: Deeply personal story about my own journey with loneliness and how I push through on rough days
*Emotional trigger warning* – there will be discussion of suicide, depression, and anxiety.
Disclaimer: I am not a therapist, or a licensed or professional counselor, or anything like that. Please check out this list of resources if you need help, many of which are available 24/7, from Healthline (these and more resources are available here: https://www.healthline.com/health/mental-health/suicide-resource-guide#1)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline –
- Crisis Text Line – available 24/7
- Text HOME to 741741
- The Trevor Project – for LGBTQ youth
- Phone (available 24/7)8: 66-488-7386 (24/7)
- The Veterans Crisis Line – Anyone can call, chat, or text, even those not registered or enrolled with the VA. Available 24/7
If you like listening to the audio on video, you can also watch via my YouTube channel below.
After you listen, if you found it helpful, I hope you’ll let me know by joining our community and commenting on the podcast below. I was really scared to share this story, but I’m really glad I did. Remember – you may write alone, but you are NOT alone.
No one should ever feel like they’re alone – if you want a writing buddy or a friendly ear, I’ll be hosting weekly live events for our community through the end of the year (these will be online through Facebook Live, YouTube Live, or something similar). If you have any rough days coming up, please join us and know that you don’t even need to write alone for the next few months. Make sure you sign up for my newsletter below to get notified of each live session.
P.S. – You can also join our podcast community on Facebook!