NOTE: I will update this post as I progress through the 100 days.
I am currently working on the 100 Days Project, where you do something creative every day for 100 days. For my project this year, I'm posting a video on my YT channel every damn day to help kickstart the relaunch of my channel. This is really ambitious I know!
Here are my goals (as of January 2021):
- Record, edit, and post 100 videos on my content buckets (more about that below)
- Get better and get faster at recording and editing
- Get more comfortable on camera and hone my 'style' and branding of videos
- Build my online community
- Have 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours by the end of May to help me qualify for monetization
- Do a soft launch of my course/bootcamp which will go live during this time, and see how the ROI changes from launch to launch
- I've assigned each day of the week a specific topic in one of my content buckets (writing, holistic planning, tarot, and mental health) through both shorts and longer videos
- I've assigned a specific video topic for nearly all 100 days so I know where to start
- I've already planned out which videos I'll record when
- About half my videos will be shorts (with a full-time day job, plus the full-time writing I do on the side, this is crucial! They can't all be longer form videos. I know this may affect watch hours for my goals, but I'll still have 40+ longer videos too). For those who may not know, shorts is a new thing YouTube is trying out - videos generally 1 minute or less, shot vertically for mobile (rather than the typical horizontal video you see on YT).
- The majority of my videos can also be recorded well in advance (less than 10 will need to be recorded closer to release as they're more vlog-style videos or monthly review videos).
Subscribe to my channel!
Here's where I am right now:
- The 100 Day Project started yesterday on 1/31 and I've posted the first (and actually the second) video!
- I've recorded all the videos I need for February, but haven't edited them all yet. I have edited and scheduled all the ones going up for the next week or so.
- I've also recoded an additional 55 videos (shorts) that I can use as backup if I can't record/post one day, or I'll just post those at the end of the 100 days to make it a 155 day project!
- What I've learned so far:
- Batching really works for me, and I'd originally thought to record a series of videos (e.g., all my tarot videos for the week), then edit them before recording the videos for the following week. But this process didn't go as expected. I found it easier to do ALL my recording for the month first, then approach the editing. This is probably because I'm not as strong an editor yet and wanted to do it last, so I'm just going with my creative flow rather than against it.
- I also realized that I could only record about 4 'longer' videos at a time before my voice gave out, even though that may have been only a couple hours (usually less) of talking.
- While I do have a nicer camera, it's fairly new (just got it late last year) and I don't know how to use it that well yet, so I'm going to try to record most of my videos on my phone. It's going okay so far. I may change this later on, but for now I'm trying to keep things simple.
- Editing-wise, I have used Premiere and Premiere Rush before, though I don't know them very well. I found it easier to use Camtasia, so that's what I'm planning on using for now. It does crash from time to time, but overall it's working for me. That may also change later on, but again I'm trying to keep things simple for now.
- I took Ali Abdaal's Part-Time Youtuber Academy course (<---note this is an affiliate link!) before starting this project which was great and I highly recommend it. I can do another post about this, but I'm mentioning it now to just say I'm also not following all of the course instructions for video flow, intro, and story structure, not because I don't think they're important, but because there's just sooo much to do and I need to prioritize. Perhaps once I settle into the project a little more, I'll be able to focus on those more.
- Total videos recorded: 29 (both longer and shorts, +additional 55 shorts)
- Starting subscriber count: 3.
- Views: N/A - I do have views as I used to use this channel to host podcast videos, but I'm not counting those 190 views necessarily for channel growth going forward. I want to see how many views I get just from these 100 days of videos.
I have edited and uploaded/scheduled all the videos for February except the last one (there's an issue so I need to re-record it which I'll do later this month).
Key takeaways from this week - Airtable is SOOO much better to keep me organized than Notion. I also have a better idea how long editing various length videos takes me (and also the uploading time too), which will help me plan better when I start working on videos for March.
- Subscriber count: 5.
- Watch time: 2 hours
- Views: 259 (though the majority of this is from one of my shorts). It's only been a week though so this number will just go up, up, up!
- Subscriber count: 6.
- Watch time: 4.6 hours
- Views: 366
- Subscriber count: 58!
- Watch time: 23.6 hours
- Views: 4.9K
- Subscriber count: 78! (+30 in just 10 days!)
- Watch time: 34.4 hours
- Views: 7.7K
- Subscriber count: 103!
- Watch time: 47.4 hours
- Views: 10.9K
NEXT UPDATE - 5/1/2021
You'll get notified of future blog posts and post updates, as well as information about planning holistically, publishing your first (or next book), and more practical guidance.